Vahur Lokk wrote:
On Thursday 09 January 2003 15:47, you wrote:

Agreed, Anne.  Being American, I'm equally amazed that many who
speak something other than english as a primary language can
converse in english so much better than many who are raised with
it as their only language.  Those who can - and do - show such
desire to be "global" have my deepest respect and admiration...
and envy *g*.

Thats easy to explain - compared to other languages english has no grammar whatsoever,
Heh heh - I'll tell that to my students!

 thus being easy to learn for foreigners (who have already grammar
experience with their mother tongue)   :)
And frequently have gone through an education system where they have to learn the grammar of their own language, which tends not to be the case in the UK any more (I don't know about the US, but I get the impression that it's left until university composition courses, by which time it's too late).

Sir Robin

--
"Do unto others what you would like others to do unto you. And have fun doing it."
- Linus Torvalds

Robin Turner
IDMYO,
Bilkent University