On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 08:03, Vahur Lokk wrote:

> Thats easy to explain - compared to other languages english has no grammar
> whatsoever, thus being easy to learn for foreigners (who have already grammar
> experience with their mother tongue)   :)

Actually.. English is one of the HARDEST languages to learn, since we
have so many words that have 4 or 5 different meanings, different ways
of saying the same thing, etc.  The fact of the matter is, many people
in non-english countries are required to learn english in school, from
an early age.

Now, on the other hand, many people in the USA ALSO take a few years of
a foreign language, but not until they are 16-20ish, and the older you
get, the harder it is to learn a new language.  Now.. even so, the fact
that we don't USE foreign languages very often here is, in itself,
contributory to us not speaking many languages.  Go down to Texas, close
to the Mexican border, you will find MANY spanish-speaking US citizens.
Multi-language is born of necessity.

 --
Dos anos de espanol.. and all I know is just about how to say what I
just did.. if it's even right.

Chuck