Hi,

1) I have a US keyboard on my laptop. I would like to type in French letters with accents (such as é or à). I can use the GNOME character map application, but this is really very slow and cumbersome. I know what the ASCII character codes are for all these letters, but I don't know how to type them in. The Windows approach of typing, say, Alt+233 for an "é" does not seem to work with linux. I also tried to type the sign ^ followed by a letter - but this does not work either.

Any suggestions as to how rapidly and conveniently get French accents in a console of in a OpenOffice text? How can I generate extended ASCII characters?

2) How can I rapidly change keyboards? I could use the Mandrake Control Center's hardware menu to change keyboards, but this would also be very slow. Specifically, I need to alternate between Russian and US keyboards (mainly in OpenOffice documents).

Is there a rapid and convenient to switch keyboards with linux?

Thanks in advance!

Andrei

Linux-Mandrake 9 (Dolphin)
Mandrake Club Silver Member