also, as i remembe,r the cutoff for the ram limit for the "regular" kernel is
right around there, so you might try the "enterprise" kernel (advertised as
for more than 1 gig ram,and/or more than one CPU) or passing a lower amount
of ram to the installer Kernel (f1 instead of enter, type without the quotes
"linux mem=512M")