On Thursday 16 January 2003 09:21 am, Terry Sheltra wrote:
> I was curious ...
>
> I have a Dell Latitude C610, and use a PS/2 wheel mouse while I'm at
> work.  When I'm at home, I have to plug in a PS/2 mouse to use.  If I
> try to use the glidepad, the mouse behaves VERY erratically (i.e. it
> clicks for no apparent reason, pointer seems to camp out in the lower
> left corner).  Any suggestions on how I may go about remedying the
> situation? Things work well if I change my mouse to say just a generic
> PS/2 mouse, but I would love to keep the wheel funtion if I'm able to.
>
> Thanks!

People "curse and fix it" according to one vehement linux critic.

The problem is 3-button emulation which is in effect for most notebook
internals.  That kills the wheel mouse.  If you properly install the wheel
mouse then the erratic normal mouse is observed.  There is a small statement
in 9.0 errata about that one.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/90errata.php3

Error scenario: When changing the mouse protocol from PS2 (simple PS2 mouse)
to IMPS2 (PS2 wheel mouse), the mouse goes crazy.
Why: Not really known; for some the mouse goes back to normal when using the
wheel during the mouse test (as the installer asks with the "MOVE YOUR WHEEL"
message). With some mice, this does not seem to work.
Solution: Format a floppy disk with a DOS filesystem (in Linux, you can use
the command "mkdosfs /dev/fd0"). Copy patch.pl to the floppy disk. Remove the
floppy and reboot using the Mandrake Linux 9.0 CD1 to do a CD-ROM
installation. During boot, press F1 at the splash screen, then place your
floppy disk that contains patch.pl in the floppy drive. At the prompt, type
"patch", then follow the installation as usual.

And of course the problem is ALSO notebooks in general.  The hardware is not
exactly standard, and the drivers for windows are generally customized by the
notebook maker to avoid little annoyances like this.  When you have a
manufacturer of notebooks offering linux preinstalled, it is likely that this
little annoyance will not be evident.

Civileme