On Thursday 16 January 2003 23:11, Dennis Myers wrote:
> I was downloading the update rpms today and my wife complained about how
> slow her surfing was. We share a cable connection through a scratch built
> firewall machine running IPcop.  Here's the newbie question, what do I need
> to do to make the system share equally the moderate bandwidth that we have?
> Am I going to have to get a router? Or, is there a handy dandy way to do it
> with linux? I've been googling linux and not finding much, probably using
> the wrong search terms.  Any and all advice is appreciated.

Hmmm, I've got a 512Kb/sec (in real life about 60k/s) cable connection with up
to 5 machines connected through a smoothwall firewall. Never really noticed a
speeddrop though, if there were more machines downloading simultaneously.

I do notice a speeddrop during 'prime time' when there are more people logging
on in my neighborhood than the local headend can handle.

Maybe you should consider setting up a proxy server if it'll help keep the
wife out of your hair=:o)

Good luck,
HarM