On Friday 17 January 2003 4:09 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I would have thought that after the ruling last week that it is
> perfectly reasonable and legal to watch videos that you have bought
> and paid for, it would now be easy to find information about DeCSS,
> but it turns out not to be so.  Since I find that my DVD player
> will play some disks and not others I decided that now was the time
> to look at this, but all the addresses I have seen seem to have
> been taken off the websites, closed down or moved away.
>
> Assuming this is no longer liable to embarrass Mandrake in any way,
> can anyone, on list or offlist, point me at a source?

Well, I do'nt have a source for an howto, but this is how I do it.  I
install the dvdnav, decss, and other plugin stuff that mplayer config
can pick up like real and ffmpeg and win32 codecs.

I use:  libdvdcss & devel rpm from ogle, a divx4linux source tarball,
and a libdvdread & devel rpm from probably that big xine site.

Then you need to recompile mplayer or xine.  I suggest mplayer cuz
it's the easiest.   Then it will read encrypted dvds.  I even have my
dvd player scsi emulated and it makes no diff.  You might need to
make a symlink from it to /dev/dvd.

But it's really nothing much to it.  You may have some trouble with
mplayer not starting at first - check your font permissions.  Good
luck.
hth,
-s