On Sunday 19 Jan 2003 5:06 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 19 Jan 2003 4:59 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   I just a hard drive crash with my server that was running Linux
> > mandrake
> > 8.1.  I replace the hard drive and loaded Linux Mandrake 9.0.  restore
> > information from my backup and everything seem to be running fine.  I
> > then try to setup internet connection.  This is where i'm having the
> > problem at.  Now i cannot get the server to see anything on the local
> > lan.  The local lan can ssh into the server and serf the internet and
> > i'm able to get my email. I had samba set up before i install the
> > internet connection now i'm unable to connect via samba or nfs.   I
> > change the firewall settings to allow everything and this stop the lan
> > from access the internet. is there something i can do to correc this.
>
> I'm sure someone more expert will give you a full answer in an hour or two,
> but just as a starter - I understand that there have been many connection
> problems where the default firewall has been installed, shorewall, I think
> it's called.  If that is the case, you should uninstall it and look for
> alternatives on your disks.
>
> As I said, a good deal more advice should follow this.  Good luck.
>
> Anne

The shorewall firewall in 9.0 is easier to set up by hand than with the GUI

Just edit /etc/shorewall/rules read the examples, then edit the lines at the
bottom which define which service names(or port numbers) are allowed to
access from the local lan to the net or firewall
(net- internet fw= the server itself masq= The local net with NAT)
Other interesting files are /etc/shorewall/zones /etc/shorewall/policy

After making edits
service shorewall restart

derek
--