On Sunday 19 Jan 2003 5:43 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This is my rules for shorewall.

> #     #ACTION  SOURCE DEST            PROTO   DEST    SOURCE  ORIGINAL
> #     #                                       PORT    PORT(S) DEST
> #     DNAT      net   loc:192.168.1.3 tcp     80      -       130.252.100.69
> ###########################################################################
>### #ACTION  SOURCE            DEST            PROTO   DEST    SOURCE     ORIGINAL
> #                                             PORT    PORT(S)    DEST
> ACCEPT        net     fw      udp     53,631  -
> ACCEPT        net     fw      tcp     80,443,53,22,20,21,25,109,110,143,631   -
> ACCEPT        masq    fw      udp     53,631  -
> ACCEPT        masq    fw      tcp     80,443,53,22,20,21,25,109,110,143,631   -
> ACCEPT        loc     fw      udp     53,631  -
> ACCEPT        loc     fw      tcp     80,443,53,22,20,21,25,109,110,143,631   -
> ACCEPT        masq    fw      tcp
>domain,bootps,http,https,631,imap,pop3,smtp,nntp,ntp    -
> ACCEPT        masq    fw      udp
>domain,bootps,http,https,631,imap,pop3,smtp,nntp,ntp    -
> ACCEPT        fw      masq    tcp     631,137,138,139 -
> ACCEPT        fw      masq    udp     631,137,138,139 -
> #LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE
>
> is this correct
> Bill Nash

With this file Samba (137,138,139) works from the firewall to the masqueraded
local network, but not from the network to the firewall.

The local masquraded network can access an http or https web server on the
firewall.

CUPS (631) works from the firewall to the local masqueraded network and vice
versa. CUPS also works from the internet to the firewall. You most certainly
do *not* want that. It is a security hole.

You also have DNS (53) working from the net to the firewall. Again this is a
security hole!!

You have FTP (20,21 ), SSH (22) , and SMTP (25) open to the internet. This is
OK, so long as you are running FTP, SSH, or SMTP (mail) servers, but is
unnecessary if you are not.

You have POP2 (109), POP3 (110) and IMAP (143) services open to the net. You
should only do this if you retrieve your email from remote sites, and have
adequate security systems in place. If not this is a security hole!!

As a general rule the absolute minimum of ports should be open from 'net' to
'fw'

There is good documentation on shorewall at www.shorewall.net

derek

--