Eric,

I wouldn't say whoever it is has hacked your box, at least not yet.  But
it is evidence they tried.  It's not that hard, you just telnet to port
25 and manually feed it commands line by line.

Read up on sendmail, 'man sendmail' might be a start, and get a book on
Unix and Internet Security.  I have 'Practical Unix and Internet
Security' by Simson Garfinkel and Gene Spafford from O'Reilly.  It has
some interesting stuff on sendmail.  I used some of the stuff to test my
security.  Fortunately I found out my version of sendmail was current
enough not to respond to the commands 'wiz', 'debug' or 'kill'.

Sendmail is an all things to all people kind of mail daemon.  You might
want to check into alternate servers for your smtp needs.  Because of
its size and the workload it can handle sendmail can be a real dog to
configure properly.  I don't know how hard post is to configure but one
solution might be to switch to it.  I'm sure someone at Mandrake can
shed more light on the arguments for and against each of these daemons.

Ken Wilson
First Law of Optimization: The speed of a nonworking program is
irrelevant
(Steve Heller, 'Efficient C/C++ Programming')