Hey but wait a minute here are 26 with dmx, even more, and
/usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0/ is in my path. This seems daft.
To my untained mind this semms to imply xine does not know
where to look for them. Now there is this graphical window
with oads of stuff in it that may be something to do with this.
no wait a minute, I'm daft, all I had to do was change /dev/dvd to
/dev/scd0 and it allnow works. Ahhhhhhhhhh.
wouldn't you know it.

John

I spoke a bit too soon. It plays some files , vob files,
a bit but lots of error messages in terminal

xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.9.17
(c) 2000-2002 by G. Bartsch and the xine project team.
Built with xine library 1.0.0 (1-beta2)
Found xine library version: 1.0.0 (1-beta2).
XServer Vendor: Mandrake Linux (XFree86 4.2.1, patch level 3mdk). Release: 40201000,
Protocol Version: 11, Revision: 0,
Available Screen(s): 1, using 0
Depth: 24.
XShmQueryVersion: 1.1.
-[ xiTK version 0.10.1 ]-
-[ xiTK will use XShm ]-
-[ WM type: (EWMH) KWIN {KWin} ]-
Display is not using Xinerama.
input_dvb: init class succeeded
demux_sputext: initializing
main: probing <xv> video output plugin
video_out_xv: using Xv port 137 from adaptor NV10 Video Overlay for hardware colorspace conversion and scaling.
video_out_xv: open_plugin
video_out_xv: double buffering mode = 1
video_out_xv: port attribute XV_COLORKEY (6) value is 66046
video_out_xv: port attribute XV_AUTOPAINT_COLORKEY (7) value is 1
video_out_xv: port attribute XV_BRIGHTNESS (5) value is -3
video_out_xv: port attribute XV_CONTRAST (4) value is 4093
video_out_xv: port attribute XV_SATURATION (3) value is 4093
video_out_xv: port attribute XV_HUE (2) value is 0
video_out_xv: this adaptor supports the yuy2 format.
video_out_xv: this adaptor supports the yv12 format.
video_out_xv: property #11 = 0
video_out: thread created
main: probing <alsa> audio output plugin
audio_alsa_out : supported modes are 8bit mono stereo (4-channel not enabled in xine config) (5-channel not enabled in xine config) (5.1-channel not enabled in xine config) (a/52 and DTS pass-through not enabled in xine config)
xine: xine_stream_new
xine: xine_stream_new
xine: xine_stream_new
video_out_xv: property #2 = 0
video_out_xv: property #5 = -3
video_out_xv: property #3 = 4093
video_out_xv: property #4 = 4093
demux_sputext: open_plugin() called
metronom: video discontinuity #1, type is 0, disc_off is 0
metronom: waiting for audio discontinuity #1
metronom: audio discontinuity #1, type is 0, disc_off 0
metronom: waiting for in_discontinuity update #1
metronom: video vpts adjusted with prebuffer to 58532
metronom: audio vpts adjusted with prebuffer to 58533
dxr3_decode_video: dxr3 not present
load_plugins: plugin dxr3-mpeg2 failed to instantiate itself.
Using MMXEXT for IDCT transform
Using MMXEXT for motion compensation
xine: xine_play
xine: xine_play_internal ...done
demux_sputext: open_plugin() called
demux_mpeg_block:open_plugin:input ID=file count = 1
demux_mpeg_block: mrl /mnt/cdrom/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB is new, will estimated bitrate
metronom: video discontinuity #2, type is 0, disc_off is 0
metronom: waiting for audio discontinuity #2
metronom: audio discontinuity #2, type is 0, disc_off 0
metronom: waiting for in_discontinuity update #2
metronom: video vpts adjusted with prebuffer to 1167740
metronom: audio vpts adjusted with prebuffer to 1167741
dxr3_decode_spu: dxr3 not present
load_plugins: plugin dxr3-spudec failed to instantiate itself.
libspudec:init_plugin called
liba52:No accelerated IMDCT transform found
liba52: skip frame of zero length
xine: xine_play
metronom: video discontinuity #3, type is 2, disc_off is 25854
metronom: waiting for audio discontinuity #3
metronom: audio discontinuity #3, type is 2, disc_off 25854
metronom: waiting for in_discontinuity update #3
audio_alsa_out: Audio Device name = default
audio_alsa_out: Number of channels = 2
xine: xine_play_internal ...done
audio_alsa_out:open pause_resume=0
stream : PLAYBACK
access : RW_INTERLEAVED
format : S16_LE
subformat : STD
channels : 2
rate : 48000
exact rate : 48000 (48000/1)
msbits : 16
buffer_size : 32768
period_size : 4096
period_time : 85333
tick_time : 10000
tstamp_mode : NONE
period_step : 1
sleep_min : 0
avail_min : 4096
xfer_align : 1
start_threshold : 4096
stop_threshold : 32768
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary : 1073741824
start_mode: DATA
xrun_mode: STOP
tstamp_mode: NONE
period_step: 1
sleep_min: 0
avail_min: 4096
xfer_align: 1
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size: 0
boundary: 1073741824
audio_out: output sample rate 48000
audio_out: thread created
liba52: a52_block error
liba52: a52_block error
liba52: a52_block error
audio_out: inserting 8648 0-frames to fill a gap of 16219 pts
liba52: a52_block error
metronom: fixing sound card drift by 1441 pts
liba52: a52_block error
liba52: a52_block error
metronom: fixing sound card drift by 1441 pts
liba52: a52_block error
liba52: skip frame of zero length
liba52: a52_block error
liba52: a52_block error