On Saturday 25 January 2003 09:11, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 25 Jan 2003 4:50 pm, Larry Williams wrote:
> > Hi All.
> >
> > I'm new to this list, and I've checked the archives and tried all the
> > suggestions I've found, but I am still unable to printfrom either of my
> > two Win98 boxen.
> >
> > My Mandrake 9 machine has most of the packages installed but none are
> > upgraded yet.  I'm using
> >     kernel 2.4.19.16mdk
> >     samba 2.2.6-1.0pre2.2mdk
> >     CUPS 1.1.16-0.4mdk
> >
> > The error I get is in cups/error-log.  It states it is "unable to convert
> > file 0 to printable format" even though a raw file is sent and
> > application/octet-stream is enabled in both mime.* files.
> >
> > Any thoughts?  Should I consider PDQ or find and install some other lp
> > daemon? If so, what print system should I define in Samba?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Larry
>
> Hi, Larry.  It's usually best to fix one problem at a time :)  So, which is
> most urgent for you?
>
> I don't know much about firewall issues - my router takes care of that for
> me, so someone else will advise you there.  It sounds to me as though that
> might be a good part of the issue.
>
> Also, is the printer physically attached to the linux box or some other?
> Can you print from the local printer?  Is there no success at all, or is it
> networked printing that's the problem?  What model printer is it. and how
> did you install it?
>
> Anne

Hi Anne.

The printer is more urgent since all three computers can access the Internet.
I just included the ping bit in case it was related.

The printer is attached to the Linux box on /dev/lp0, it's an HP Deskjet 540.
I installed it first during installation, where it was automatically
detected.  I didn't make any drastic changes to the pre-definied settings
except to force grayscale.  It does print locally and has always printed test
pages.

According to the Mandrake Control Center (drakconf), wherein I've removed and
reinstalled the printer without any problems, the printer is using the
recommended Ghostscript + hpijs driver, but I've also tried the
CUPS+GIMP-Print v4.2.2 (en) and Ghostscript + [cdj|djet]500 drivers with the
same results (local print works, remote from Win doesn't).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Larry