Okay... I tried every trick in the book (and outside of it). And it is
still a riddle.
I just about took the entire machine apart again, put it back together
with basically just the video card and the mainboard. No CDRom, no
soundcard, no nothing. Standing upright it collapses within 15 minutes.
Most of the time I only had to wait 1 or 2 minutes, which helped speed
up the experiments. *wry grin*
I tried every card combination, took the power supply apart (nothing
strange in there), and still I come up with the same thing. At the
moment the PC is on its side again and it runs. Since 5 minutes now, but
I am confident that it will stay up.

I am at my witt's end with this.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have the impression that this
PC will remain on its side for the rest of its life, unless someone can
come up with the ultimate solution. I just hope I can burn legible CD's
with this setup, for backup reasons.

Paul