>knowledge of your back broke desktop/tower contents would be helpful.
>
>if it is still running, i would suggest 3 possible problems to go after
>first.
>
>#1 = power supply:
> does fan stop?

No, it keeps going.

> do you lose all voltages?

No. There is still power on the mainboard led and the leds of the network
cards.

>#2 = heat:
> are you testing with covers on or off?

Both. Same result.

> do you have good air circulation?
> cpu have correct heat sink and fan?

Yes and yes.

> is memory over heating?

No, it is not. I cannot imagine that it does. I can leave the PC off for 2
hours, which should be enough to cool off most parts. When I switch the PC
on in the upright position (and refrain from smoking ;) it stops within 2
minutes. The hybernate led starts blinking and that's it. Which really is
weird, since I have the BIOS set to never go into hybernate.

> does mainboard have heat sensors?

Yes, they both show on LM Sensors (through Gkrellm).
The CPU (Athlon 1200) shows 78C (149F) and something else shows 29.2C
(75.5F). I am not sure if I set the multiplier readings in Gkrellm
correctly, but this is what I also could see (plus or minus a few degrees)
when then machine was still upright. So no change there.

>#3 = harddisk:
> is drive new? if used, was it previously mounted flat or on side?

The drives (2 x 30Gb ata100) came with the system. It is a little over 1.5
years old now. The drives previously were mounted flat, now they are on the
side.

> if drive is flat and stops, flip upside down, still run?
> if drive on side and stops, flip to other side, still run?
> if drive is flat and stops, turn to side, still run?
> if drive on side and stops, turn to flat, still run?

I'd have to try these out sometime. I'll let you know. Thanks for the ideas.

Paul

> think green...
>    save a tree, save a life, save time, save bandwidth, save storage.
>     send email...   text/plain - disable pgp/gpg/geek code attachments

I like this!!!  :-)

--
Never lend books -- nobody ever returns them; the only books I have
in my library are those which people have lent me.

http://nlpagan.net - Linux by Mandrake - Sylpheed by Hiro