Terry,
 When I tried to run 'usbview' I got "command not found".
///

Adolfo,
 I tried your method. Please See results inline

> First of all, when I do a "ls /dev/usb" the only active USB port shown
> is "hid", the one used by the mouse.
>
> When I do a "ls /dev/usb" after placing the Palm on the cradle and
> pressing the hotsync button, then two entries are shown: "hid" and
> "tts".

This worked. I got the 'tts' when I typed 'ls /dev/usb' after I pressed
the hotsync button.

> I make sure to create as root the symbolic link /dev/pilot with:
> ln -s /dev/usb/tts/0 /dev/pilot

Did this(as root).

> Subdirectories 0 and 1 of tts only appear when you hit the hotsync
> button on the cradle.
>
> Next step is going to Evolution->Tools->Pilot Settings. A wizards
> appears. Answer that this is the first time your going to use the
> software with the Pilot.

The wizard is giving me two options.
1. Yes, I've used sync software with this pilot before.
2. No, I've never used sync software with this pilot before.

If I click the No option, it gives me a slot to put a User Name and ID.
I am assuming I should use the 'Yes' option, since I have syncronized my
Treo with the Palm Desktop software it came with on my Windows macine,
and the device already has a username.

>  Press Next and press the hotsync button on the
> cradle. It will recover the name and user id from the pilot. If it
> fails, try again. Sometimes it takes three or four times to get this
> info from the Pilot.
>
> After passing previous step, you should see an open window where you can
> define your conduit settings. Enable synchronizing ToDo, Calendar,
> Contacts (I also enable Memos) and that's it.

After I answered OK to this final screen, I got the error message,
"Could not examine the port for Cradle(/devt/pilot). The port should
point to a USB serial port. No such file or directory (2)"

When I go back now and type 'ls /dev/pilot' I get "No such file or
directory."

My Treo keeps displaying the error message "The connection between your
handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check
your setup and try again."

> Now, press again the hotsync button on the cradle and you should get the
> data transfered to evolution.

I got nothing. Well, I am getting a little frustrated, but that doesn't
count. What should I do now?

TP