On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 06:57, ThinKer wrote:
> Sorry to be a pest by asking this again but this is really important in
> my Linux Evolution. One of the last steps in being "windows free" in my
> daily computing is my ability to sync my contacts, to-do and calendar
> with my PDA.
> I searched Google for "Treo USB to sync with Linux" and I found nothing
> useful.
>
>  I am running Mandrake 9 (2.4.19-16mdk kernel) on a 500 Mhz PIII with
> 256MB RAM. I am using KDE 3.0.1 Desktop, Evolution 1.2.1 and would
> ultimately like to sync my Treo 180 USB with Evolution. I have Jpilot
> and KPilot installed but I haven't been able to sync with either of
> these programs.
>

> My PDA is a Handspring Treo 180 (GSM phone/PalmOS PDA hybrid). The Treo is running
>Palm OS 3.5.
> I need to use the USB connection to connect with my PC.
> According to WebMin, my USB is set to start at boot and is currently running.
>(MandrakeSoft, : usb,v 1.44) but I am not 100 % sure it is running.
>
> Any help/guidance/instruction on this would be greatly appreciated.
> A step-by-step set of instructions from begining to end would be a wonderful thing.

The following is a post from the Evolution list. I know nothing about
this (I don't have a PDA), so if you need more help, try joining the
Evolution List at http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/evolution

Note that the author reports success syncing with jpilot, which you say
fails for you, so perhaps you need to recompile the kernel with support
for this before moving on. At least you know it does work... :)

        <quote>
        Now... let me see if I can remember how i did it ;-)

        1. Syncing already worked between treo and jpilot, so the kernel
        support
        and pilot-link support was there and working... (that enough for
        many
        other e-mails).

        2. downloaded gnome-pilot-0.1.71 source

        3. applied the patches that came with the source rpm
        (gnome-pilot-0.1.65-synctype.patch &
        gnome-pilot-0.1.70-noapplet.patch)

        3. ./configure

        4. make

        5. make install

        even though I got errors on this... it did put a fresh gpilotd
        up in /usr/bin

        Note! I told tools/Pilot Setting/Devices that my device was a
        SERIAL
        device NOT a USB device ... go figure

        Then I fired up evolution, attached the treo, hit the hotsync
        button,
        fired up /usr/bin/gpilotd (as myself... not as root)... and
        watched all
        my contacts, todo's and calendar items update!

        --
        John M Trostel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        <unquote>

I hope this helps.