civileme wrote:
On Monday 27 January 2003 06:27 am, robin wrote:
On the subject of memory, would converting a Celeron box to Linux bypass
the problem that Celeron chips in Windows canonly utilise a certain
amount of memory?  We have a Celeron with 32MB of RAM, and have been
told there is no point in adding RAM because the chip wouldn't be able
to access it.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Ummm, as far as I know, some MOTHERBOARDS have limits on memory, but it is not bound to the processor used. The Motherboards that support Celeron all support at least 128M, unless you are using a celeron-driven control device (why would that not surprise me?) like unto the SIMM and DIMM devices of Arcturus.

Anyway, linux handles memory so differently from Windows that indeed the 512Mb limit of 95 and 98 is easily breached, and linux tends to run faster the more memory you add up to 1 Gb, at least. After that, the memory model supported gets a little more taxing in overhead, but once past that, the speed again tends to increase with additional memory.

But I would like to meet the person who told you it was pointless to go beyond 32Mb with a Celeron. I know someone who has this bridge for sale, you see, and he could make a BUNDLE with toll booths on it....
Thanks, Civileme - that was the answer I was hoping for and more-or-less expected. I have included it in a post to our person-with-the-purse-strings. Depending on whether we can get any new computers in our office, this will either be one for teachers to use, or (best-case scenario) will stay in our tutorial area for students to use, in which case I have permission to install Linux on it for security reasons. I've learnt from Microsoft that FUD is a good tactic, and I told our new head of department in no uncertain terms that having students putting their floppy disks into one of our LAN-connected boxes is asking for trouble. The difference, of course, is that my fear, uncertainty and doubt is backed up by solid facts - allow Joe Student to put an infected disk into your Windows machine and Network Neighborhood will do the rest.

Sir Robin

--
" Like these cutters, and hackers, who will take the wall of men, and picke quarrells."
- G. Pettie

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi