On Tuesday 28 January 2003 06:55 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

<snip>
> Fascinating.
>
> I'm glad to hear that they are giving consumers a
> choice.  Although I'm disappointed to hear that they
> "expect" to give winblows preinstalled.
>
> My comment is that I would like to know what their
> partitioning scheme is on the system that you get,
> before it is wiped forevermore.  Also, it does sound
> like a good plan, cause they will have to get all
> devices working before it is shipped out to you.
>
> It might be a good idea to review what modules are
> loaded with an "lsmod" b4 you wipe all the partitions.
> That way, if you've got something exotic, you've got a
> heads up on it before you go into the Mandrake
> installation.
>
> Not saying that LM won't autodetect everything.  But the
> info may come in handy.
>
> LX
</snip>

Thanks, Lyvim and Tony.

The story goes on : 5 minutes ago I had a telephone
conversation with a Dell Denmark representative. He wasn't
sure what linux-distro they offered, only he gave a
guarantee, that an Optiplex SX260 would run linux. After
some additional pressure I managed to get a bargain :

Dell Denmark  will deliver an Optiplex with only a
rudimentary DOS in it. He claimed that it would be
necessary in order to get the hard disk running (???) and
maybe for legal reasons. The price cutoff would be around
70-80 euros relative to a box with WindowsXP.

Sounds good, eh ?

Kaj Haulrich