On Tuesday 28 January 2003 07:49 pm, Charlie wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 January 2003 08:57 am, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Thanks, Lyvim and Tony.
> >
> > The story goes on : 5 minutes ago I had a telephone
> > conversation with a Dell Denmark representative. He
> > wasn't sure what linux-distro they offered, only he
> > gave a guarantee, that an Optiplex SX260 would run
> > linux. After some additional pressure I managed to get
> > a bargain :
> >
> > Dell Denmark  will deliver an Optiplex with only a
> > rudimentary DOS in it. He claimed that it would be
> > necessary in order to get the hard disk running (???)
> > and maybe for legal reasons. The price cutoff would be
> > around 70-80 euros relative to a box with WindowsXP.
> >
> > Sounds good, eh ?
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich
> > Powered by Linux                -             Mandrake
> > 9.0 Registered Linux user # 214073 at
> > http://counter.li.org Source :  my 100 %
> > Microsoft-free personal computer.
>
> AFAICR the agreement between Dell and Microsoft says
> that Dell can't ship barebones boxes; but doesn't
> exactly specify what operating system must be included.
> Note: included, not installed. One of the ways that's
> been found to circumvent MS's heavy handed interference
> was to just toss a copy of FreeDOS in with the tower and
> ship it.
>
> A 70 to 80 Euros discount is certainly better than none;
> but I'd be curious to know how much of the actual OEM
> price they're passing along in that discount. Last I
> checked here in Canada Retail Win XP Home Edition goes
> for CDN$159.00. The stores in town here that sell
> barebones boxen add that to the price. If one is buying
> a "preconfigured system;" meaning one that's advertised
> as a "Plug'n'Play," the discount (for those willing to
> do such a thing) is only CDN$100 or so. The excuse is
> "We have to test whether we ship a system with an
> Operating System or not." which may sound reasonable but
> I don't think so. They have to test, granted, and the
> testing is included in the price of the system, not a
> part of the OS price in my opinion.
>
> It's still better than nothing though.
>
> Regards;

That demystifies things, Charlie. Coming to think about it,
the explanation about DOS *to make the hard drive spin*
seems utterly nonsense to me. Actually, I wondered if the
man knew what he was talking about. The reason to have DOS
installed must serve testing purposes, I guess : to test
serial, parallel and USB ports, monitor-outlets, floppy
drive etc. etc.. That comes for a price, of course.

Kaj Haulrich.