I've been getting these errors for a long time now.

Linux crashes a LOT on my machine.  It usually happens when it attempts
to load up devices or when it freezes up and I am forced to reboot (and
it has happened before).

Right now, I've upgraded to kernel 2.2.9-27 and I'm still getting the
errors.  It flashes the message on boot when it tries to load up the
Ethernet card.

Error message:

        stack segment: 0000

Then, it outputs a bunch of stack stuff in hex, saying that there has
been a segmentation fault.  The next readable sentence is:

        Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
00000003
current-> tss.cr3 = 03ee2000 %cr3 = 03ee2000

And then it kicks out and brings me to the Login Prompt.  At this point,
I cannot log in; if I try logging in as root, it gives me the error
"kmalloc: size (303120) too large"  (the number varies).

        Right now, I have two Ethernet cards plugged into my machine and I have
modified my /etc/modules.conf file to reflect that:

alias eth0 tulip
alias eth1 tulip

The two cards are identical SMC EtherPower 10Mbps cards; they us a
digital 21041-PB chipset.  The model is SMC8432BT.  They are both PCI
cards.

I've also tried removing one of the cards, but the segmentation fault
still crops up, giving me slightly different numbers (too many to type
out, I get about two pages worth of stack information).  Here are some
of the error messages I get:

---------

Unable to handle NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000003
current->tts.cr3 = 03de4000. %cr3 = 03de4000
*pde* = 00000000
Oops: 0000
CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[<0012df40>]
EFLAGS: 00010286
eax: ffffffff   ebx: ffffffff   ecx: 801fdac0   edx: 80f7a000
esi: 82c77920   edi: 83e63c60   ebp: 00000000   esp: 83edbf00
ds: 0018        es: 0018        ss: 0018
Process syslogd (pid: 265, process nr: 11, stackpage=83edb000)
Stack: [Here I get 8 8-digit hexadeximal numbers across, and three down,
for a total of 24 hex addresses).
Call Trace: [<801747f3>] [<8014a9b3>] [<8012e1c3>] [<8012e68c>]
[<80109d20>]
Code: 8b 43 3d fe00 00 00 77 3a c1 e0 04 b9 00 e0 ff ff 03 43
kmalloc: Size (864272) too large

-------------

Since the hard drive check comes up all right, I'm going to presume that
it's NOT the hard drive (I was getting suspicious, since I dropped it a
week ago, but I ran a bunch of surface scans on it and it seemed all
right).  I think I will consider pulling the P-100 out of the closet to
try it on that to see if it is in fact a BIOS error, unless, of course,
one of you who are more knowledgeable than I am can help me out.

I run:

233-K6 AMD;
ATI Graphics Xpression (Mach64 chipset) 2 meg;
2 SMC 8432BT Etherpower cards; I use the Tulip driver;
3.5 gig Fujitsu hard drive

        Please reply to my request.  Before, I had this problem but no one
replied to it to help me out.
--
/-|rcana