Dennis Myers wrote:
On Friday 31 January 2003 06:03 am, et wrote:

On Thursday 30 January 2003 09:30 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:

Having been to the archives and checking my /etc files for the proper
configuration on the mouse, I am still unable to use the wheel as a wheel
or third button. Has anyone an idea of what makes the little bugger work?
TIA for any suggestions.
if you cann't trade it in on a logitech, try to set it up as logitech
intellimouse and test it and see if that works... works for me...

Ok I am going to go into the corner now and suck my thumb and curl up in a tight ball, the durned wheel started working all of a sudden:???????I have no idea why, it came up after I looked at the sysconf/mouse files.
In desperation, here's a dumbo trick I learned in my Windows days.

1. Make sure you have some kind of hardware detection daemon running (in my experience kudzu is the best, but for some reason that doesn't ship with Mdk any more).

2. Remove your mouse and reboot.

3. Plug in your mouse and reboot.

Of course that's the kind of thing you should never have to do in Linux - a reboot should only be necessary if you're replacing something like the CPU or motherboard. On the other hand, I've sometimes reinstalled Mandrake out of sheer laziness - I knew that finding the way to do something without reinstalling would take me more than an hour, which is about how long it takes to install and configure Mandrake.

Sir Robin

--
" Like these cutters, and hackers, who will take the wall of men, and picke quarrells."
- G. Pettie

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi