On 31 Jan 2003 15:58:15 -0700
FemmeFatale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 15:11, John Richard Smith wrote:
>

> > It confused me for a long time.
> >
> > ln -s <destination  file>  < source file >    <enter>
> >
> > John
> >
> > --
> > John Richard Smith
>
> Its still confusing me!  This is what I tried & the error msgs:
>
> [root@Heather bin]# ln -s usr/games/fortune usr/bin
> ln: creating symbolic link `usr/bin' to `usr/games/fortune': No such
> file or directory
> [root@Heather bin]# ln -s usr/games/fortune /usr/bin/.signature.sxw
> ln: `/usr/bin/.signature.sxw': File exists
> [root@Heather bin]# ln -s /usr/games/fortune /usr/bin/.signature.sxw
> ln: `/usr/bin/.signature.sxw': File exists

The preceding example is the only one that has the correct syntax, the
error is because /usr/bin/.signature.sxw exists. You have to give it a new
name, like /usr/bin/.signature2.sxw. In any event, calling
/usr/bin/.signaturex.sxw is just going to call fortune. Since fortune
should already be in your path, I'm not sure I understand why you want to
make the link.

> [root@Heather bin]# ln -s /usr/games/fortune/.signature.sxw
> /usr/bin/.signature.sxw
> ln: `/usr/bin/.signature.sxw': File exists
>

> Heres the contents of both the "fortune" & /usr/bin Directories:
>
> <skipped irrelvant stuff>
>
> In the /usr/bin dir -
>
> [root@Heather bin]# ls -a .signature.sxw
> .signature.sxw*
>
> From /usr/games dir -
>
> /usr/games/fortune
>
> help?

You can't link two files like this; they both exist. Create a link when
you want to make it "easier" for you to get a file. Like instead of typing
"vi /var/log/httpd/access_log", I might make a link in my home:

ln -s /var/log/xferlog ~/ftplog

That creates the file ~/ftplog, which is not a real file, it's just
pointing to /var/log/xferlog. "vi ~/ftplog" saves me a few keystrokes.

I think what you're wanting to do is use the output from fortune in
.signature.sxw?

> Should I just give up till I'm off the demerol <G>

Send some my way ;)

--
Todd Slater
Mandrake Newbie searchable archives: