OK, time to learn how to burn CDs.  40x 80 min CDRs.  I have tried out
gcombust, gtoaster, and looked at eroaster and settled for GNOME
toaster.  A clear, friendly interface, apart from the drag-and-drop
feature for selecting directories.  I am only interested in data CDs,
preferably multisession, but have not been able to get multisession
working properly.  First attempt started without the multisession
option - you can't invoke it for a second track.  Fair enough.  Second
attempt; first track OK, mounted and read OK.  Second track went on
but did not seem to have much data.  Third track written apparently
but by then the disk was unusable - could not be mounted (on my DVD
drive) although gtoaster reported three tracks.  All the writing was
done at 8x after hints in the list about reliability at lower speeds.
On another CD I wrote about 500 Mb, specifying multisession at the
start.  That one is OK but the program cannot write any more tracks.
"No usable tracks found" - something like that.  So, what is the
secret to burning multisession CDRs?

I wondered if it had anything to do with fixating.  Gtoaster enforces
fixate for track at once recording.  Could not find out what fixate
meant, but found a reference in a freeBSD man page on the net which
indicated that it has to do with writing a table of contents to the
disk.  Does fixating (fixation?) make the disk unwritable once it is
done?  Are there any in depth descriptions of CD recording anywhere?
Most of the documentation seems to be operational, not explanatory.
--
Len Lawrence
The world will end in 5 minutes.  Please log out.