On Tuesday 04 Feb 2003 11:36 pm, Len Lawrence wrote:
> OK, time to learn how to burn CDs.  40x 80 min CDRs.  I have tried out
> gcombust, gtoaster, and looked at eroaster and settled for GNOME
> toaster.  A clear, friendly interface, apart from the drag-and-drop
> feature for selecting directories.

I mainly use XCDroast, and could help with general instructions on that if it
will help, but I haven't really tried multisession (I usually have to exclude
less important bits to get all I want on a disk :) )
I am only interested in data CDs,
> preferably multisession, but have not been able to get multisession
> working properly.  First attempt started without the multisession
> option - you can't invoke it for a second track.  Fair enough.  Second
> attempt; first track OK, mounted and read OK.  Second track went on
> but did not seem to have much data.  Third track written apparently
> but by then the disk was unusable - could not be mounted (on my DVD
> drive) although gtoaster reported three tracks.  All the writing was
> done at 8x after hints in the list about reliability at lower speeds.
> On another CD I wrote about 500 Mb, specifying multisession at the
> start.  That one is OK but the program cannot write any more tracks.
> "No usable tracks found" - something like that.  So, what is the
> secret to burning multisession CDRs?
>
> I wondered if it had anything to do with fixating.  Gtoaster enforces
> fixate for track at once recording.  Could not find out what fixate
> meant, but found a reference in a freeBSD man page on the net which
> indicated that it has to do with writing a table of contents to the
> disk.  Does fixating (fixation?) make the disk unwritable once it is
> done?  Are there any in depth descriptions of CD recording anywhere?
> Most of the documentation seems to be operational, not explanatory.

Undoubtedly your problem is caused by fixating.  That effectively closes the
disk from further writes.  Most non-burner drives have problems reading a
non-fixated disk, I believe, though I think it is largely a software problem,
as the burner program is the one that handles that.  (Could be off-beam here,
though)   If GToaster forces fixation then use something else for
multisession.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302