* civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [030205 01:27]:
> vi has some extensions like vile that allow editing multiple files so emacs
> has no real advantage there any more.  emacs though does split windows one or
> more times to allow several files to be on screen at once.

vim and its graphic version gvim both allow editing multiple files and
splitting the screen with different files visible.

I forgot to mention that vi and vim (and even emacs, for that matter)
can be run character-based only (as in a console environment), or in a
graphic version with enhanced mouse control, toolbar, etc.  This way
you can take more advantage of the GUI environment but still be
comfortable when trying to edit your XF86Config-4 file to get your GUI
working again  ;-)

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz