> matter which machine I'm on in the future (be it a friends with linux on it
> who's fubared X, or my own) I can edit files & cfgs quickly & painlessly.

Then vi should be worth learning. No matter what system you are going
to work on - as long as it is Unix - vi is almost guaranteed to be
there. If not, it'll fit on a floppy - as long as (of course) the
binary is compatible with the target system. If you happent to be on a
DOS or Windows based system, you might have difficulty, but there are
versions of vi / vim that are runnable on Windows too. There are
certainly other choices available, but vi is about the only real
standard in editors. Back in the old DOS days, most everyone used
something other than edlin.com to edit files, but if you were stuck,
or if you had a friend with a sick system, about all you could
guarantee is that edlin.com was available, or you brought it to the
problem system.