Anne Wilson wrote:

>On Wednesday 05 Feb 2003 2:14 pm, Robert Wideman wrote:
>

>>MMM, I dont know about this Finalize thing. I use Nero for Winbloz and I
>>do NOT have to finalize a cd in order to read it on another machine w/o
>>Nero. I can even see the files in Linux boxes no problem.
>>Just my 2 cents on this issue.
>>

>Nero definitely has a place to specify whether a disk is finalized or not. I
>can't comment on whether the disks are readable elsewhere - I only know that
>others have found this not to be so.
>
>Anne

Actually it's a mite more complicated than that.

Audio discs do not have to be fixed in order to play on a good modern
computer
but data cd's do.but an unfixed audio disc will not play on a regular cd
player.

Data discs have to be fixed but they don't necessarily have to be fixed all
over the cd, it depends. So you could have a data disc that you fix the
written
portion of, and leave the rest of the disc unfixed, then add some more data
files at a later date and fix those and so on. However I have never succeded
with any of the linux writer programmes. EasyV5 and nero can do it easily.

I believe xcdroast can do these things, but as I say I have never
succeded myself.
I know cdrecord can do it, but it is not simple, well, not in my
opinion, other
might feel diferent about it.

John

Generally speaking