Anne Wilson wrote:

On Thursday 06 Feb 2003 2:49 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Thursday 06 Feb 2003 8:46 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Wednesday 05 Feb 2003 2:14 pm, Robert Wideman wrote:

MMM, I dont know about this Finalize thing. I use Nero for Winbloz
and I do NOT have to finalize a cd in order to read it on another
machine w/o Nero. I can even see the files in Linux boxes no problem.
Just my 2 cents on this issue.

Nero definitely has a place to specify whether a disk is finalized or

not. I

can't comment on whether the disks are readable elsewhere - I only

know that

others have found this not to be so.

Anne

Actually it's a mite more complicated than that.

Audio discs do not have to be fixed in order to play on a good modern
computer
but data cd's do.but an unfixed audio disc will not play on a regular cd
player.

Data discs have to be fixed but they don't necessarily have to be fixed
all over the cd, it depends. So you could have a data disc that you fix
the written
portion of, and leave the rest of the disc unfixed, then add some more
data files at a later date and fix those and so on.

Are you sure about this, John? I have always understood that fixating
closed the disk.

Anne

Petty sure, as I say I have never got it to fix the data only on a linux
programme, but
all of the windblows proggies can fix the data only amount ofa cd and
leave the
rest of the blank cd open to add more .It's just a question of getting
the right
option ticked . It goes, (from memory) something like fix data don't fix
disc before
the final write begins.

Haven't used Nero since I lost my windows in November, so I'm rusty, but I remember the 'dont fix disk' setting - I just don't remember anything about fixing data.

I'm sure that roast can do it too, and cdrecord, but as I say I cannot
get it to
work for me. Whenever I have tried it fixes the whole disc and I cannot
add more.

Again, I'm fairly sure I've seen the setting, but not used it. I'll have a look at that next week when I have more time.

Anne

I've just taken a look at EZCD V5 and it says ,
Finalize Session, don't finalize CD,
I guess youcan read that both ways,but
to my mind, and in accordance with what it
actually does, it fixes the data tracks, and leaves
the unwritten part of the cd open for more writes.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]