On Friday 07 February 2003 05:50 pm, David E. Fox wrote:
> > I would not call my installation painless. I had to install
>
> What was the installation method used? I have had 9.0 installed for
> some time, but have been (recently) using urpmi for most upgrades,
> and might I say in passing that urpmi now works better than it has
> done in previous versions. Getting the paths correct for urpmi is a
> major issue, but once you understand where to look and how to
> specify the sources it works pretty well. Prior to 9.0 I had
> trouble with it - usually as a result of broken paths, incomplete
> or incompatible sites, lots of which had connection issues of their
> own, it seemed.

I am new to Mandrake, not to Linux, but urpmi and the rpmdrake for it
got the best of me, as rpmdrake uploaded all the packages, while I
had to sit there and ok the lack of md5sums for every package. Then,
it found a dependancy it could not correct, and exited, flushing all
the uploaded rpms.

I then bagged the "easy" way, and settled down to upgrade KDE using
rpm, rpmdrake to search the CDs, and rpmfind for everything it
couldn't satisfy.

It wasn't too hard as upgrades go, you should have seen the source
upgrade to KDE 3.0.5 on RH8.0, and I never got it perfect. RH broke
KDE, and I left.

Now, maybe I need to add more sources to urpmi, but its not all that
convienent to yell about, as to befuddle me is to really lose a
newbie.

Rob
--
Rob Blomquist