Pupeno wrote:

On Saturday 08 February 2003 04:15 am, Gil Katz wrote:

On Saturday 08 February 2003 11:04, Paul wrote:

Hi
is there any HTML e-mail client like outlook express?
Gil
Evolution should be what you look for.
Paul
Evolution got POP or IMAP what i need is a e-mail client to connect to
hotmail Gil
Maybe this is usefull for you then:
http://dot.kde.org/1035822985/1035828921/1035906330/
KMail can already handle hotmail http mail via gotmail (http://freshmeat.net/projects/gotmail/).
Simply fetch your mail from your hotmail account with gotmail, save it in a local mbox-style mailbox (Warning: Don't save it in ~/Mail !) and then fetch the messages from this mailbox with KMail. You can even configure gotmail as precommand for a local account in KMail so that in order to fetch new mail from your hotmail account all you have to do is press the Check Mail button in KMail. Of course you can also enable interval checking for your hotmail account.

That's the beauty of Unix. Don't reinvent the wheel a thousand times but use the tools that already exist.

Regard,
Ingo

- From http://dot.kde.org/1035822985/1035828921/1035906330/
Gotmail is a utility to non-interactively download email from a Hotmail account. It can download messages from all folders, messages from certain folders, or new messages only. There are options to delete downloaded messages or mark them as read. Gotmail can forward messages to other email addresses or save them as local mbox-style mailboxes.

I don't see why this wouldn't work in any other mail client that can read mailboxes althout I really like KMail and the precommand that really helps there may not be available in other clients.
If you want KMail to look like outlook, hold your breath and wait for kde 3.2, the answer is Kontact: http://www.kontact.org
http://trolls.troll.no/sanders/kontact/kontact1.png
http://trolls.troll.no/sanders/kontact/kontact2.png
http://trolls.troll.no/sanders/kontact/kontact3.png
http://trolls.troll.no/sanders/kontact/kontact4.png

for more information of what's going on in 3.2 related to PIM: http://dot.kde.org/1043346607/
If you use Mozilla, the Hermes addon apparently allows reading of hotmail and some other web-based account as though they were POP3 accounts. See http://hermes.mozdev.org/index.html

Hope it helped.
Anyway, the get a new account advice is still a good advice.
Yep, with all those free account services out there, using hotmail is unnecessary. Some now even give free POP3 accounts, e.g. softhome.net , which my wife uses. Netscape will give you a free account on registration, which can be read in Netscape Messenger (but not in Mozilla Messenger, AFAIK).

Sir Robin

--
" Like these cutters, and hackers, who will take the wall of men, and picke quarrells."
- G. Pettie

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi