On Saturday February 8 2003 10:24 am, Russ wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I understand that the swap partition should be about twice that of
> your physical ram. I have 256megs and when I allow MD to partition
> itself, that is the size of the swap partition it makes. Shouldn't
> it be 512?
>
> I seem to remember (from previous tries in the past) that there was
> an issue of Linux not reading all the ram. There was a file that
> the person was directed to and told to edit it to what his ram was.
> Does anyone out there know what I am talking about?

   Yes, but that situation, ie, 'not seein all the ram' (older
kernels), is as outdated as the rule of thumb to make the /swap 2x
physical ram. 256mb /swap with 256k ram is fine for most all users.
For that matter, 256mb /swap with 512 or 1 gig of ram would be too.

   This would not be true for a server under load. Then the /swap
needed might be even more than 2 x ram.