From: Tom Brinkman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 4:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] RC1 and network problem.

On Friday February 21 2003 02:08 am, Tony S. Sykes wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Okay lets start again. I download iso's normally with d4x, but I
> did not have it installed in beta 3. I had to use mozilla download
> manager. I was asking about d4x for urpmi as I don't like
> installing programs from source (lazy I know). Sorry for the
> confusion.
>
> Tony.

   Well, I'm still confused ...or maybe you are? Maybe we both are ;)
"d4x for urpmi" just doesn't make sense to me. They are designed for
two different purposes. The only thing they share is using wget (or
with urpmi, 'curl' can also be used) to d/l files.

    All d4x does is d/l.  urpmi, OTOH, searches sources for updates
compared to what's on you system already, or new installs by your
request. Then it d/l's. Then it either upgrades or installs the
files, after having also grabed any needed dependancies, and/or
removing any conflicting packages.  None of which is applicable for
iso images's, except the d/l'ing part. You don't upgrade or install
image files themselves, you certainly wouldn't 'urpmi filename.iso'.

    "I don't like installing programs from source" confuses me too. I
can only suspect that maybe you confuse iso images with programs, or
packages, or source code?  iso's are none of those, they aren't even
a 'file' in it's commonly used sense. When used to describe distro
images, they are a raw image that contains files and packages (rpms).
They're also used, for example, to contain the sound tracks on an
audio CD, among other uses. For bootable distro iso's, they contain
an 'El torrito' sector within the image that tells the computer "boot
me" when burned to a CD.  Otherwise the image file (iso) on your HDD
can also be mounted as loop device (**see man mount, THE LOOP DEVICE)
and the files and packages used from within the image (container), or
extracted (copied) from it.  Either way you need to d/l it to your
HDD first. I just happen to like d4x to do this.  I try an avoid
using browsers as they sometimes (specially Netscape) mangle d/l's.

     BTW, ISO stands for International Organization for Standards  and
is just one type of image file.  The term is often used incorrectly
and/or too generally, as I just have ;)

** I'm sure there's better explainations on websites, than 'man mount'
for loop devices.  IIRC, it's as simple as
   'mount -o loop /path/to/filename.iso /mnt/point/'

I'm also positive somebody else can explain all this bett'r than me ;)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This message, and any associated attachment is confidential. If you have
received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or
disclose the information in any way, and notify either Tony S. Sykes
or the postmaster <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  immediately.

necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless
specifically stated.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their
attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s)
to verify the integrity of such emails.

Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street