On 22 Feb 2003 00:56:26 -0500
Lyvim Xaphir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is why we work with rpm's.  RPM packages give us a database
> whereby we can track every single file that's installed plus it's
> location, and in turn delete them when the time comes, or delete and
> install in the case of an upgrade, without missing anything.  The rpm
> tracking database thus preserves the integrity of the operating
> system.

Point1:
Some, but not all, source pkgs contain uninstall scripts that can be run
if you wish to remove a program.

Point2:
Updating from a source pkg is dome the same as you would anything.
The new program will overwrite, i.e. upgrade the old program as long as
the same prefix and path options are used at configure.

Point3:
Use checkinstall.
This will install the built src pkg as an rpm and it will be added to
your systems rpm database and can be upgraded or removed as any other
rpm..

    Charles

--
Fortune's real live weird band names #257:

Force Vomit
Mandrake Linux 9.1
Kernel- 2.4.21pre4-10mdk