On Wednesday 26 February 2003 09:12 pm, Harv Nelson wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there some sort of backup/restore utility that I can use to make backups
> using the CD-R on my machines? CD-R's cost about a dime each these days.
> That price makes that media much more attractive than investing in a big
> tape drive and tapes..
>
> I've got 5 machines on my little network.  Each has a 20 gig HD (or less).
> How about another machine with a couple 50 gig drives that would be used
> just for backing up the others? That would cost about as much as the tape
> drives and tapes.
>
> Another strategy you'd care to suggest?
>
> Thanks a bunch
>
> Harv
drakbackup, backuponcd and scdbackup are either in the distro or easily
locatable by google search on name.

As for the extra comp as a backup fileserver, activate linux on each of your
systems and run webmin, then log in from the big fileserver and create cron
jobs to cp vital files over once a day or so--the cp is possible since you
will share out the directory for storage via either Samba/lisa or NFS so that
the drives on the fileserver appear on all the computers make sure it is a
copy and that people don't start storing things ONLY on the fileserver.

Yes that is workable with only a couple of lines of command stored in a file
made executable and run by cron on each of the local machines.  I maintained
backup data on 16 machines the same way when Mandrake 6.1 was hot stuff.

If you do opt for tape, figure a full investment--that is that you keep the
tapes rotated and aged and clean, and you test the integrity of the copy.
Disasters lurk for fools like me who don't do that when using tape--I lost
six years of work.

Civileme