Did you install SO51 as 'root'? If so you didn't need to. When I did my
install, I was logged on as a regular user, did the download (long time)
to my personal folder, put the .tar file into a folder I created under
my personal folder, then did the extract. Next I did the install, and
that was that. I havn't set up anything for it as root, because I can
not think of any reason why I should need to.

I am set up with Linux-Mandrake 6.0, on a stand alone DeskTop system. I
am the only one using the system, so I only have one user, and a root
account set up on my system. If you are set up as a network, or as a
multi-user system, someone else will have to help, 'cause I don't know
anything about those configurations.

If I understand the situation, software is installed on a per user basis
in Linux. This means that only the owner of a particular program can use
it. If StarOffice was installed as root, it belongs to root, and only
root can use it by default. There may be a way to allow other users to
use the software, but I do not know how to do it. Also, if I understood
the licence for StarOffice, it is a one user licence, and may require a
sepatate registration/instalation for each user using the package. If
your setup is similar to mine, I would suggest that you remove
StarOffice as root, then re-install it as a regular user as I discribed
above.

Ernie