It takes a few minutes to mount a CDROM on my drive using Mandrake 9.0.
This is too long.

I have a dual-boot machine, choice of SuSE or Mandrake.  There is no
working Microsoft software on the machine.  With SuSE it takes less
than a second to mount the CDROM.

I suspect very strongly that this is a software problem.

While booting, I get the following relevant-looking messages:

  hdd: HL-DT-DT CD-ROM GCR-8520B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
  hdd: lost interrupt
  hdd: lost interrupt
  hdd: lost interrupt
  hdd: ATAPI 52x CD-ROM drive, 128kN Cache, DMA
  Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

I mount the CDROM (it happens to be the second Mandrake installation CD)
with the following command:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom

(except on SuSE I mount it on /cdrom instead of /mnt/cdrom.  Oh yes,
 SuSE does not give me the "lost interrupt" messages either.)

It then sits around for a few minutes, and finally comes back mounted.

The Mandrake I use is the Mandrake PowerPack Edition 9.0,
but during installation it would not look at any but the first
installation CD.  It also seems to have failed to install emacs.

I encountered this problem while trying to add additional installation
sources. Starting up the Mandrake Control Centre took more than four
minutes.  A little hard to understand if this is just a thin shell for
launching other programs.

Then it tales a long time to start up the sources manager, and finally, showing it the
other CD's takes a long time.  When I actually got the second
installation CD mounted, I still dod not succeed in getting it to look at it.
since
  (a) I can't figure out what I am to fill in as relative path to
      synthesis/hdlist.  The manual just tells me that if I don't
      understand what it is talking about I will be wise to leave
      the window via "cancel" instead of "save changes".
and
  (b) "Adding a source" dies, and just leaves blank windows lying
      around forever.  I suppose it might just be in suspended
      animation waiting for the CDROM drive, but leaving it that
      way overnight provides no progress.

Experimentation and exploration is too tedious for words because of all the
mount delays.

Under the circumstance, the remainder of Mandrake is a little hard to
install or configure!

-- hendrik