On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 05:45:19PM -0500, Miark wrote:
> It's simpler to type the following on the commandline as root:
>
>   supermount disable

Well, I did this.

> and to make it permanent:
>
>   supermount -i disable

And then I did this to make it permanent.

Now it takes five and a half minutes to mount the second Mandrake 9.0 installation
disk.  The problem is still not fixed.

Once mounted, however,

        ls /mnt/cdrom

is nearly instantaeous, but

        ls /mnt/cdrom/Boot

took 34 seconds.  I unmounted,

        umount /mnt/cdrom

and the umount finished in only 14 seconds.

Presumably tht ls /mnt/cdrom could be satisfied from some cache or other,
and didn't actually have to consult the CD.

In case it is relevant (supermount seems to work by changing /etc/fstab),
here's the contents of /etc/fstab:

----- cut here
/dev/hdb8 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda8 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hdd        /mnt/cdrom      iso9660
codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15,noauto,nosuid,ro,user,nodev,exec      0 0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     vfat
codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-15,nosuid,user,exec,nodev        0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5       /suse                     ext2            defaults    1   1
/dev/hdb11      /home2                  ext2                 defaults    1   2
----- cot here

No mention of supermount anywhere.

-- hendrik