Still no joy.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 02:31:40PM -0500, Miark wrote:
> Is autofs running? If so, try turning it off with drakxservices.
>
> Miark

Is drakxservices the thing you get to turn services on and off from the MCC?
If so, autofs wsa not even listed as something to turn on or off.

It really seems as though the system is locking up for times varying from thirty
seconds to over a minute now and then.  Mounting a CD does eventually work (today I
mounted an old OS/2 shareware CD flawlessly, except that it took four minutes).  Now
and then id does a read from the CD (as evidenced by the drive light), with *huge*
time delays.  I'm used to it doing a few reads in less than a second on the old SuSE
system wtill running on the same hardware (dual boot, SuSE and Mandrake) and returning
immediately afteward with a successful mount.

So I wonder what could cause the delays.  I sat and watched in boot Mandrake 9.0
today.  The first noticeable delay was a minute and a half or so starting devFS demon.
 Id announces that it is starting the devFS demon, and about 90 seconds later (times
without a clock) it announces success.

The only other delays during boot are understandable timeouts:waiting for adsl to come
up (the modem was off) and waiting to synchronize the clock (again, no net).

Is ninety-seconds a normal time to take to start up devFS?

Could startup delay with devFS be related to the slow CD mount problem?

Is it possible to reconfigure to skip devFS somehow (I suspect not, but I'll ask
anyway.)  What does devFS do, anyway?

-- hendrik