----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 6:30 PM
Subject: RE: [newbie] SBLive! under 6.1 - update

> Recompiling a kernel is not exactly newbie key by key stuff!! Okay, it's
not
> THAT difficult, but lets at least give me a chance to suss out whether
doing
> it will solve the SBLive! problems or not. If it does, lets figure out the
> best way to walk anyone through it that wants to.
>
> If it doesn't solve the problem, then there's no point in bothering.
>
> Unless of course you want help to recompile the kernel for other reasons
> ;o). If that's the case i'm sure someone could point you to a decent howto
> or something. All the resources that i've had anything to do with in the
> past have gone out of their way to ensure that newbies really don't have
> recompile their kernel!!

In that same sensible vein - it seems Mandrake could do worse than pay
attention to this in their release strategy - SBLive-value is hardly rare!
Making sure the kernal is available in a suitably receptive compiled state
looks like a good move for them too. I know other ways exist, but this does
at least make some sense in the linux-evangelist stakes.

Regards,
Ian

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.zap.to/atelier