----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 1999 11:35 AM
Subject: RE: [newbie] SBLive! under 6.1 - update

> I really don't want to start knocking Mandrake at all here as i'm sure
they
> have plenty enough to do already (!), but i have to admit IF (and only if)
> this simple recompile works and doesn't screw anything else up, then yes i
> really do agree.

>From what I have seen so far they are pretty diligent, this opportunity is
unlikely to pass them by completely!

> That said i know that nobody in Linux circles is happy with Creative at
the
> moment on the subject of the SBLive! and lack of willingness to release
> technical info on it (without forking out a small. Maybe that may have an
> impact.

Well as long as they keep that approach up - they are vulnerable - it would
only take one product that fits the bill just right, and the linux community
at large to find that out, and Creative could see a lot of their own
product, but second hand, hit the streets, and once that happens the
perceived value of Creative stuff could fall quite badly. Double whammy -
less sales & less potential for them at current prices!

They are for the first time in a long time vulnerable to predation from a
small but alert pacific rim card maker - now that's going prove
interesting! - Now if only we knew which one, we'd be forming and orderly
(or otherwise) queue at their factory door! ;-)

Regards,
Ian

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.zap.to/atelier