Shan,

have you tried to use LinNeighborhood to mount the share?

It's a very nice tool for getting started. it's on disk two I think.

It makes you go through the password authentication process to mount shares and tell you if you are wrong. or that you need a different password , etc. it will even search out the address of a share if you give it the name of the share, and the domain,
like : Name: becky
Domain : home
Ip: ( leave blank )

it will query the network find the address an put it in for you !

also , can you send your /etc/samba/smb.conf file to see how it's setup?

It will show if its setup to let you access your nt files or not.

how it's setup makes a difference, but it sounds like your close. ;-)

it sounds like you don't have password authentication for the share.

you will need to do some setup on the smb.conf file to make it run.
you can use swat to setup samba if you have it installed, or webmin.

more info will help to resolve your problem.

the list will be more than happy to help

Mike

Kou Shan Shan wrote:
Hi,

I have a mdk 9.0 box running but I am facing some problems when trying
to set up samba file sharing

NT servers can be viewed clearly in the Mandrake Control Center under
"samba mount points" option. I can see the online folder (from a Win NT
workstation) which I want to access as well. However, when I pressed
"mount", it always tells me "failed". I have chosen "user mode" in the
mount options.

I doubt that this has to do with my smb.conf file, as I did not do any
configuaration for it. But I am not so sure how to carry on from here as
there are so many options in the smb.conf file.

I appreciate any advice! Many thanks!

Shan

Mike McNeese Springdale, Arkansas USA

 Dual booting 98lite;MDK 9.0 kernel 2.4.19-16 Kde 3.1
 Registered Linux User #248955 acqua / Keramik Theme

"If obstacles are what you see in your path...
                Then you have lost sight of your goal! "