On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 14:53, Kou Shan Shan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a mdk 9.0 box running but I am facing some problems when trying
> to set up samba file sharing
>
> NT servers can be viewed clearly in the Mandrake Control Center under
> "samba mount points" option. I can see the online folder (from a Win NT
> workstation) which I want to access as well. However, when I pressed
> "mount", it always tells me "failed". I have chosen "user mode" in the
> mount options.
>
> I doubt that this has to do with my smb.conf file, as I did not do any
> configuaration for it. But I am not so sure how to carry on from here as
> there are so many options in the smb.conf file.
>
> I appreciate any advice! Many thanks!
>
> Shan
You're going to have to dig into your smb.conf - the easiest way to do
so is through Webmin and SWAT (which should be installed on your system
by default). Everything has to be "just right" for a Windows network -
and you WILL have to make direct modifications to your Samba
configuration if you're going to "share" properly on the network. Take
my word for it - I do THAT bit every day...(and it sucks that you have
to reboot a Windows box, but for a linux box, you just restart the
service...gads...)

HTH!
--
Fri Mar 14 16:35:00 EST 2003
 16:35:00 up  1:39,  2 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.15, 0.16

When one woman was asked how long she had been going to symphony concerts,
she paused to calculate and replied, "Forty-seven years -- and I find I mind
it less and less."
                -- Louise Andrews Kent