Thx Jose, you've answered my question :). The only problem I have faced was my laptop T20 didn't want to boot from CD no matter what I did - playing with bios or updating it so I've fired installation via network booting from floppy network image.

I've used Nero to burn the CD using 'Burn Image'  option and didn't have to set anything for foreign file - hope this was not a reason my laptop didn't boot up from it.

Martin

 Jose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

m wrote:
> I'm about to install Mandrake Linux on my laptop and like to know the
> difference between those two. I guess I need to download ISO images 3
> CDs where first one is bootable but what is the 'Mandrake Linux 9.0 for
> i586 and higher' download for. Do I need anything from there?

Rather than having to download hundreds of files to get a working copy
of Mandrake, they wisely chose to group tye numerous files into three
large ISO files.

WIth your CD burning software, you would tell it to burn from an image
or an iso file. It will then do the convert the ISO file into appx.
650mb of individual programs.

So you see, an ISO file is simply a bunch of individual files grouped
together for easy management.

The i586 files are those individual files within the ISO file. They are
there in case you need some individual files or for folks that just
perfer to use wget to get their files.

Download the ISO files, burn each to a cd and load Mandrake from the CD.
For Windows CD burning software, I am pretty sure they call an ISO file
an image. You would use that option.

You may want to try the local Linux Users Group (LUG) and just get a
copy from them. They are usually more than willing to help anyone with
Linux installs. Laptop installs are sometimes a bit tricky.

--
Jose
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do you Yahoo!?