I see your modem and your video and  share an IRQ, (11) have you considered
that might be the problem? are you installing these modems in the same PCI
slot?

 I have a usr 5610 model modem, and it requires an added init string of
ATS32=66, you might try looking at the USrobitics website and see if there
are any strings required for your particular 5610 modem (mine is a 5610b
external)
Also, this type of problem may mot be the modem, but related to your ISP.
Is this a dual boot computer? is it set with "plug and pray aware OS" set to
off or no in the BIOS? if it is dual boot, have you tried the winders side to
see if the problem is the same? using the same wire from the jack as the
older box with an ISA modem? have you considered to take the ISA modem out
and try it in the new box? does the new box have an ISA slot?
I seem to remember a problem like this for some USR modems, and it required a
reset of the modem after about an hour or so. I think USR had some drivers
update for windows that cured it once the new drivers were run once, seems
they either changed some internal setting on the modems firmware, or provided
the correct init string and then that was copied into the linux KPPP setup.
Might even be a "bum" modem, or need to be "reset" into the PCI slots