On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 13:38, Anonymous wrote:
> For some reason, after an x amount of time, I can't
> surf anymore ...
>
> Let's say that it's not a "bad" modem ...
>
> I've gone through all the kppp settings and made the
> values as large as possible ... not sure what all of
> the values mean, but ...
>
> what command do I do to get relevant files/logs that
> might have information about the connection?
>
> Would that be the first step to find out? Or will I
> have to get some kind of log viewer downloaded and
> installed?
>
> I'm using Mandrake 9.0.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable thing to try, or am I
> just spinning my wheels?
>
> BTW, it's not the end of the world, once I get 3
> computers networked, to run downstairs and disconnect,
> then disconnect again (kppp won't automatically do it,
> because the modem's is still "on" ... I hear it click
> off when I disconnect ... and can't get back on until
> I disconnect ... i connect again with no problem), but
> it's better if it just stayed on ...
>
> Rita

If you're getting disconnected ALWAYS after about 1.5 hrs, that would
mean that the DHCP lease is choking and puking - you can try to avert
this a bit by making sure that both DNS servers are listed in the
/etc/resolv.conf file - but that is rather strange...

--
Mon Mar 24 11:40:00 EST 2003
 11:40:00 up 2 days, 22:27,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.04
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * MDK 9.1 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting
 machine no:194239 * RH 7.3 * Sales - Service - Support - Tutor
** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **

All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
                -- Grant Wood