From: John Richard Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 27 March 2003 16:18
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] CDRW/DVD mounting problems

Tsur, Oren wrote:

That's brilliant John.
Any chance of 'walking' me through this?

Thanks, Oren

Confusion shouldn't be nature's way of telling you that you are thick!

-----Original Message----- From: John Richard Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: 27 March 2003 13:19 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [newbie] CDRW/DVD mounting problems

Tsur, Oren wrote:

Dear community,
This is the story so far - Installed MDK 9, problems with rights to CDRW

and

DVD, re-installed, set-up rights and everything worked fine, wanted to

work

with x-cd-roast, x-cd-roast couldn't detect my DVD, changed lilo.conf to
include append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi", in terminal
typed lilo to load changes,

changes loaded successfully, in x-cd-roast
everything is fine, in kde my cdrom2 (which used to be my CDRW) is now my
DVD and my CDRW? I am not sure where it has gone..... when I go to the
configuration as root I can see that my dvd is mounted as scd1 on

/mnt/cdrom

and my CDRW is mounted as scd0 on /mnt/cdrom2.

Oh, that happens, don't know why, I change the /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 around in /etc/fstab entries and then they come out the proper way round, ie, cdrom= DVD, cdrom2=writer.

John

try,
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0in /etc/fstab

I cannot remember if you have both devices scsi-emulated but this way round makes dvd = scd0 = cdrom, writer = scd1 = cdrom2, always provided that you have dvd/writer master and slave in that order, because the master slave determins scd0 or scd1 , and your fstab entry determins which is cdrom, and cdrom2.

John

As they say look in bios, but it's simple really, if you do it the same as mine and all is ok then your've got dvd/writer , master/slave, if it comes out , dvd=scd1=cdrom2, writer=scd0=cdrom, then you're master/slave is the opposite way round.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]