On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 22:52, lewis wrote:
> On Saturday 29 March 2003 09:38 pm, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 21:59, lewis wrote:
> > > Hello,  I have just gotten a Creative--Sound Blaster sound card and when
> > > I run sound config it does not detect any PnP or PCI sound cards.  It
> > > then asks me to select my card.  There are 5 different Sound Blaster
> > > cards but none seem to work.  It does ask for card settings which I do
> > > not know.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Brenda Lewis
> >
> > I have a very old SB-32,full length ISA card.  When I first installed
> > Mandrake 9.0, it was not automatically detected. But post-install, I ran
> > sndconfig, and then it found the SoundBlaster automatically.  Just
> > upgraded to 9.1 and sound is playing now, so I guess it saw the existing
> > configuration and kept it.
> >
> > So SB works.  Perhaps you have a device conflict?

> I don't know how to tell if I have a device conflict.  I have had 9.0 for a
> few months and have never had sound.  It worked in windows, but the
> motherboard chip wouldn't work in Mandrake Linux.   I have ran sndconfig but
> no luck.  I am not sure which Sound Blaster I have but on the box it says
> "Creative Labs SB 16".  I wondered if that meant that it was the Sound
> Blaster 16 listed in sndconfig.  We did pull the card again and couldn't find
> a name but did find a model #CT4810 and a serial #M4810220028030.  Another
> thought....Where do you plug in the speaker?  Line in or Line out or Mic.  I
> am a real newbie.  Thanks  Brenda L.

Well, there you go.  You don't have a SoundBlaster 16.  You have an
Ensoniq AudioPCI.  Go here
http://www.americas.creative.com/support/welcome.asp and search for your
model number.  Dig around the support materials and see if you can
identify if it has Linux capability.

--
Guy Rouillier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>