-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Richard Urwin
Sent: Sunday, 30 March 2003 4:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Richard Jones
Subject: Re: [newbie] shorewall pain and agony

On Sunday 30 Mar 2003 2:38 am, Richard Jones wrote:
> I've got a machine that I use as a firewall and server. It has two
ethernet
> cards:
>
> eth0 - cable modem to the internet
> eth1 - local LAN
>
> I set up the connections fine to access the internet and share the
> connection. The connection sharing seems to always want to set up ppp+,
> even though I don't have a ppp+ connection defined. Easy enough to change
> in the config dialog though. So that seems fine. Looking in the shorewall
> config, all seems well.
>
> I then set up the firewall to only allow ssh through - I don't trust these
> cable networks an inch :)
>
> The only problem is - as soon as I use the firewall config gui, the
> shorewall config grows a ppp+ connection that it thinks is my connection
> the internet. Needless to say, things simply don't work after that.
>
> I've managed to get the setup working (through manual editing of the
> shorewall configs) to the point of the local LAN machines being able to
> access the samba shares on the server. They can't share the connection
> though.
>
> Any ideas what might cause the ppp+ wierdness?
>

>    Richard

Accumulated wisdom* on this list is don't use Shorewall, or only use it to
kick-start the IP Tables config and hand-tweek them from there. If you have
any connectivity at all then you're doing better than most.

The Network Administrator's Guide (see The Linux Documentation Project
website) has details of IP Tables.

*although some opinions do differ.
--
Richard Urwin