On Sunday 30 Mar 2003 2:38 am, Richard Jones wrote:
> I've got a machine that I use as a firewall and server. It has two ethernet
> cards:
>
> eth0 - cable modem to the internet
> eth1 - local LAN
>
> I set up the connections fine to access the internet and share the
> connection. The connection sharing seems to always want to set up ppp+,
> even though I don't have a ppp+ connection defined. Easy enough to change
> in the config dialog though. So that seems fine. Looking in the shorewall
> config, all seems well.
>
> I then set up the firewall to only allow ssh through - I don't trust these
> cable networks an inch :)
>
> The only problem is - as soon as I use the firewall config gui, the
> shorewall config grows a ppp+ connection that it thinks is my connection to
> the internet. Needless to say, things simply don't work after that.
>
> I've managed to get the setup working (through manual editing of the
> shorewall configs) to the point of the local LAN machines being able to
> access the samba shares on the server. They can't share the connection
> though.
>
> Any ideas what might cause the ppp+ wierdness?
>

>    Richard

Shorewall is easy to use in Mandrake 9.0 so long as you do not go anywhere
near the Mandrake Firewall GUI. The GUI will do weird things to your config.

The easy way to set up shorewall is to configure the files in /etc/shorewall
by hand. They are well documented and easy to understand.
The files of interest are interfaces,zones,policy, and rules  You will find
excellent documentation at www.shorewall.net
Then restart shorewall with
service shorewall restart

I do not know if the GUI has improved with 9.1 as I have not tried it yet.

If you really want a GUI based firewall, then uninstall shorewall and install
firestarter from a Contrib mirror. It has fewer features but is 'point and
click'.

derek