I keep seeing all these posts for flaky installs of 9.1, but I thought
some of you would like to know that not all installs are flaky. Here's
some of the systems I've done in my home in the last few days since
downloading the ISO's. By the way, each of these went flawlessly.

1) Asus A7V8X with AMD Athlon 2200+XP CPU, 512 Mb of DDR Ram and
   nVidia GeForce4-MX440, and 40 Gb Maxtor drive. System uses on-board
Via Audio, and Broadcom 4401 Network Interface. Dual-Boot with Win2K.

2) Asus A7S333 with AMD Athlon 1800+XP CPU, 512 Mb of DDR Ram with 60 Gb
Maxtor drive, and LG CDROM. System uses on-board Lan and audio, and
nVidia GeForce4 MX440 video card. Dual-Boot with WinXP Pro.

3) ECS (Elite Group) K7VMM+ with AMD Duron 1.3 Gb CPU, 512 Mb DDR Ram,
30 Gb Maxtor Drive,and LG CD-ROM drive.ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 handles
video. On-board audio and LAN finish it up.

4) PC133 "Giga-Pro" motherboard with on-board Via C3 CPU, 512 Mb SDRAM,
and 10 Gb Fujitsu drive, and DVD ROM drive. System has on-board audio,
LAN, and TV-out via SVHS. This system uses a Logitech Elite wireless
keyboard and mouse, because it sits in my living room and plays DVD's
for my home theatre, while also surfing the net via P.I.P.

All of these systems installed over 9.0 installs flawlessly, and the
only other packages I've installed are Netscape, Acrobat reader and
Realplayer (all from Texstar), and Zinf for MP3, Streaming Radio -
courtesy of Shoutcast, and CD Playback. Corel's Wordperfect 2000 Suite
for Linux handles all the documents in the house.

Since Mandrake hasn't released 9.1 Prosuite yet, I'm running 9.0
Prosuite on my server, but I'm looking forward to this upgrade!

What's my point? This list has been around for years, and like you, I
receive a mountain of email from it and a lot of help, but I almost
never hear about the successes! I hear about people having problems, and
the solutions, for sure, but what about the folks who install the latest
version of our favourite distro without problems?

It might be encouraging to newbie's to hear that some of us install
Mandrake (or some of those "inferior" distro's Grin!Grin!), and have no
problems getting it up and running. It would also give them a good
cross-section of hardware that seems to work well with Mandrake.

While I have received an enormous amount of help and knowledge from
everyone who contributes to the list (and even helped some myself), I
just thought it might be a good idea to start putting more positive
posts on the list as well as the constant problem-solving items that we
see all the time.

What about the rest of you? Any success stories? Sound off and let the
world know that Mandrake works for you!

By the way, in the next month or so, I'll be upgrading my Internet
connection to something ridiculous - Thinking of a T-1 or similar. Just
doing some shopping for deals right now. When I do, I'll be setting up
an anonymous server with some basic configs (ie; Samba, NFS, DHCP, ICS,
Shorewall, Squid, etc.), with a clear focus on plain-language
instructions. I want to include a "Tips and Tricks" section, and I'd be
open to suggestions for other things. Since the connection will be
expensive, I don't want to start putting huge amounts of packages on
there, but certainly some good documentation for basic home user setups,
and quick reference guides for many of the common problems that users
face all the time. Members of the list will be able to use or contribute
to these files. Anyone interested? Got any good ideas?

Let's take this list to a new level. I'm sure that many newbie's would
love to get help in the early hours of the night, and sometimes there's
no one around to help. Having a site where they can get some quick
answers would be a big help, especially when the configs are pre-built
and require only a few minor modifications.

If Mandrake ends up shutting down (God Forbid!) we'll need a new place
to run a mailing list and some handy info. I'm up for it, so what about
you folks? I'd love to hear from you.

Lanman